[LAU] audio/visual synthesis

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Jun 26 08:01:21 EDT 2008

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> In a way i really think that the audio and graphics domain are vastly different beasts ...
Hi Florian,

This understanding is central to my own concept of the A/V arts. In my
opinion there are no absolute correspondences, i.e. I believe that all
associations and correspondences between audio and visual elements are
finally arbitrary. However, I'm quick to add that doesn't make such
associations useless. On the contrary, they are useful in so far as they
get the creative mind moving in some direction. AFAIC, that's all the
push I need.

An analogous situation is found in the time-point system used by Charles
Wuorinen. His explication of the system is intriguing, but there's no
getting around the fact that his initial premise is arbitrary. Very
useful, but not a "natural" or necessary relationship between elements.
Its necessity is with regards to the composer's need for a systematic
and complementary approach to resolving rhythmic problems in a non-tonal
harmonic world. And that's enough to get a start into a work, afterwards
you can jettison any system (or not) once you've got the work's
direction clarified.

Just my two yuan, of course. :)

And thanks for that graphics server, that's a cool idea, I look forward
to testing it.

Best,

dp