[LAU] Pan settings for mixes

porl sheean porl42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:59:31 EDT 2008

a quick rule-of-thumb for the drums is to basically pan the various parts
the way you would look at a drum kit. some people do it from the front
(looking back towards the 'drummer') and some (like me) prefer to do it from
the drummer's point of view. bass normally should be centered, as the energy
from the bass tracks needs more power from speakers to drive it, so putting
it in the middle means you have both speakers making the sound. note also
that bass is harder to pin-point the position of in most environments, so
panning it around doesn't have as much effect as panning higher frequencies.

hope this helps :)
porl