[LAU] Time of music in a seqennser

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 22:51:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

>  On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 22:17 +0100, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
>  > But to have proprietary VST-plugins running perfectly well on Linux will
>  > not help promoting the development of free software for Linux like LV2
>  > or AMS.
>
>  I respectfully disagree. If it was possible to run arbitrary win32/x86
>  VST's on linux/x86 with no hassle, there would very little barrier to
>  people moving to linux for their audio needs. plugins are often the
>  blocking issue to this migration, not host applications. like it or not,
>  the plugins exist, and they are not appearing for linux at anything
>  close to a sufficient rate to justify any active audio users migrating
>  at present.
>
>  --p

I agree with Paul. It's a big issue even on various Windows DAW
platforms where certain manufacturers use their own plugins (non-VST)
to hold customers in their grips. Once people have started using a
plugin set they are VERY careful about moving to some new platform
where they have to learn a new plugin set to attempt to get the sounds
they are already getting elsewhere.

Running *every* VST should be the goal. The low monetary cost of the
Linux OS and Ardour as a platform hardly matters when compared with
the EXTREMELY high learning costs associated with moving over.

My 2 cents,
Mark