[LAU] new recordings

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 17:28:20 EDT 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> As to the text, as a non-believer I don't have to fear any
> gods and be bothered by it. What I 'dislike' - but that verb
> is too strong - about it is that it doesn't do justice to the
> depth and sophistication of Christian spiritualism. But that
> may be a very West-European view.

If you're not familiar with him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Willie_Johnson

He was Duane Allman's favorite slide player. Ry Cooder has spun a career
out of his version of Wille's "Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground". ;)

As to the song's spirituality: Willie was a street preacher in Waco,
Texas, during the 1920s and 1930s, probably not the most auspicious of
times to be black and blind in the southern USA. He was an intensely
powerful performer, and most blues artists and aficianados are familiar
with his recordings. The slide playing alone is amazing, equal to and
beyond even the best of the Delta blues players, but his entire recorded
output is strictly southern gospel music.

Christians play non-Christian music all the time. I decided to restore
some balance. :)

Thanks for listening !

Best,

dp