[LAU] how to transmit OSC between two networked computers?

Jan Weil Jan.Weil at web.de
Fri Mar 28 13:13:55 EDT 2008

Hi again,

Am Freitag, den 28.03.2008, 12:17 -0400 schrieb Hector Centeno:
> The network set up is quite simple. Both computers are connected to a
> router (one wireless and the other wired) and the router has internet
> access. Both computers are able to communicate (I do rsync file
> transfers often) and I'm also able to ssh from one to the other. I
> finally got two instances of Csound running on each computer to
> communicate using OSC using the built in OSC opcodes. My only problem
> now is getting wiiosc running in one computer to communicate with
> Csound on the other. Wiiosc is set to output on port 57120 and I was
> trying to forward that port to the other computer using ssh (57120 in
> the wiiosc host to 57120 in the Csound client: ssh -v -L
> 57120:192.168.2.10:57120 192.168.2.10 ). The ssh session starts fine
> but for some reason I don't get anything coming in the clients' 57120
> port. The firewall in the client has that port open.

The problem is that wiiosc uses localhost implicitly. It would be close
to trivial to add another option to wiiosc so that you can define a
remote host instead. I don't have the time at the moment, sorry. As a
quick hack you could change line 228 in wiiosc.c

t = lo_address_new(NULL, outport); // change later to use other host

and replace the NULL by the remote host's IP address:

t = lo_address_new("192.168.2.10", outport);

and recompile.

Cheers,

Jan