[LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun May 4 08:58:54 EDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>  > <SNIP>
>>

>>> data : 2605292
>>> acid : 24
>>>  Flags     : 0x0002 (Loop,RootNoteValid,StretchOff,RAMBased,??Off)
>>>  Root note : 0x36
>>>  ????      : 0xFFFF8000
>>>  ????      : 0.000000
>>>  Beats     : 32
>>>  Meter     : 4/4
>>>  Tempo     : 120.000000
>>> strc : 4636
>>> *** str2 : 20 (unknown marker)
>>> *** bmrk : 7024 (unknown marker)
>>> *** dtbt : 520 (unknown marker)
>>> LIST : 82
>>>  INFO
>>>    *** MRAT : 4
>>>    ICOP : (c) 2008 Sony Creative Software Inc. All rights reserved.
>>> *** mudp : 1612 (unknown marker)
>>> End
>>>
>>  > <SNIP>
>>
>>  thanks for the info Mark
>>
>>  from a cursory look this sndfile-info output is being returned as plain
>> text and thus unstructured, programmatically via
>> sf_command(SFC_GET_LOG_INFO); which seems bizarre :/
>>
>>  is it really supposed to parse the text string literally? or is there some
>> other way to read the meta-data in some structured way?
>>
>>  fyi, SFC_GET_LOG_INFO command is supposed to "Retrieve the internal
>> per-file operation log." not any meta-data, but Erik should know better ;)
>>
> Hi Rui,
>    You know me pretty well at this point old friend. I've just a user.
> Nothing more. I might be a pretty smart user, but I'm just a user.

oh no. don't take me wrong. i was just in hope that Erik was listening
here too :)

>    As I remember the work Erik and I were doing, I think we were doing
> sort of hunt and peck. I'd try a few loop files, look at the results
> and if they weren't correct (as per Acid) then I'd send him info like
> the stuff above, and maybe a loop file or two. I'd tell him what Acid
> Pro was telling me, and he'd try and find that info in the file. He'd
> do some changes and I'd try the new version via patches he'd give me.
> We made some headway but eventually he ran out of time and it didn't
> move forward anymore I'm actually not sure if it ever improved after
> that. I've been subscribed to this list or its predecessor for over 8
> years now and cannot remember any serious discussions in public.
> Fankly though, without someone like you doing an app like qtractor it
> didn't matter too much and I let it drop.
>
>    The need for this info is all driven by the app you're doing. I
> don't know of any other Linux app that would really require it. Other
> could use it but I think an app like qtractor would really make good
> use if we could work it all out.
>
>    So, to the extent that you or some other developer reading this in
> lurk mode has an interest I have gigabytes of Acid loops that we use
> here for composition. I'd be happy to help out again should the need
> arise. Having an Open Source replacement for Acid has been high on my
> wish list for years. I'd love to help it happen.

ok. we already have the "Root note", "Beats", "Meter" and "Tempo" fields
in sight, which is a fair start imo.

i'm afraid of what the "??" could mean :) and whether Erik will break or
change the SFC_GET_LOG_INFO output string layout on any other libsndfile
release ;)

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela