[LAU] Auto-fitting loops [WAS:] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun May 4 14:50:10 EDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>
>>  > when you import (or drop) a new audio file into the qtractor time-line,
>>  > it's always assumed that the new clip is in tempo with the current
>>  > session.
>
> I completely understand. However logically this leads to a slower work
> flow and far higher disk space for those of use that buy loops and
> have a large library:
>
> Library 1 recorded at 136 BPM
> Library 2 recorded at 128 BPM
> Library 3 recorded at 124 BPM
>
> Session A tempo 118 BPM
> Session B tempo 140 BPM
>
> With Acid I keep one Library directory on disk. When I drop the loop
> into the session they are resampled for tempo (not pitch) on the fly.
> Fast and easy.
>
> With the flow qtractor currently has (and every other Linux loop
> friendly app I know of) I have to do this:
>
> 1) Resample Libraries 1, 2 & 3 to 118 BMP
> 2) Resample Libraries 1, 2 & 3 to 140 BPM
> 3) Point Session A to the 118 BPM directory
> 4) Point Session B to the 140 BPM directory
>
> Backup require that I either back up every tempo or resample libraries
> again in the future after a drive problem.
>
> What happens when I decide that 140BPM wasn't quite right and my video
> producer needs or just wants 142 BPM? With Acid I up the tempo 2 BPM
> and I'm done. What do I do with this flow? (A lot of work I think, and
> when he tells me "Sorry, I meant 143 BPM I shoot him or lose my gig.)
>
> What will qtractor require of me if I do tempo changes within the
> song, even if it isn't supported today? Resample at every BPM from 140
> BPM down to 120BPM in 0.1 BPM increments and place these into the
> session by hand? I shudder!

i'm thinking of the "automatic time-stretching" feature i've told about
before. maybe you've missed it

once you have all clips lined up and arranged to a given tempo, by just
changing the global session tempo (bpm) *all* audio clips get
re-stretched in proportion to that change, so that the song (aka
session) will keep it's audible tempo metrics altogether.

try it out ;)

> Please note I'm not trying to pick on anyone or any ideas here. It's
> just that I've used these Windows loop programs for years and have a
> pretty good idea of the pitfalls of trying to live long term with the
> current qtractor flow. I think it will be harder for the creative
> process. Acid is probably the most 'fun' program I've used over the
> years. I'd love to have as much 'fun' with qtractor someday.

cyaa
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org