[LAU] Aceptable bass guitar sound: is it possible?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon May 12 15:53:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 03:27:39PM -0400, Darren Landrum wrote:
> Jorge wrote:
>   > 2) Any good-quality-FX to convert my analog guitar playing into a
> bass sound
> > out there?? (I don't even need real time).
>
> Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to play a bass line with
> your guitar, then pitch it down by one octave using the Rubber Band
> stuff in Ardour. Roll off the highs with a bit of EQ, and it might make
> for an interesting bass sound.
>
> Beyond that, you need pitch and envelope following, and a Google search
> didn't turn up anything in the Linux realm in that regard. That doesn't
> mean there's nothing out there.

I use a bass soundfont and play it on keyboards.

It doesn't sound as good or as dynamic as a real bass player, and the difference is especially notable live.

But NekoBee is great for bass synth sounds, as are AMS and PHASEX.

Best advice I could give is to buy a bass and learn how to play it. They're not that expensive.

-ken