[LAU] Aceptable bass guitar sound: is it possible?

frank pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:15:05 EDT 2008

Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 03:27:39PM -0400, Darren Landrum wrote:
>
>> Jorge wrote:
>>   > 2) Any good-quality-FX to convert my analog guitar playing into a
>> bass sound
>>
>>> out there?? (I don't even need real time).
>>>
>> Well, the first thing that comes to mind is to play a bass line with
>> your guitar, <snip>
> I use a bass soundfont and play it on keyboards.
>
> It doesn't sound as good or as dynamic as a real bass player, and the difference is especially notable live.
>
> But NekoBee is great for bass synth sounds, as are AMS and PHASEX.
>
> Best advice I could give is to buy a bass and learn how to play it. They're not that expensive.
>
> -ken

And for those who haven't yet listened to Ken's "bass playing" be sure
to note his use of the controller wheel to express the legato component
of good technique.

I understand the full timbre of a good string electric bass - fretless
or not, and the slapping and popping a good player employs that would
make a live performance more colorful, but Ken's work comes awfully close.

Leave that inflection out and you'd might as well just play the lower
registers of a keyboard and call it bass.

Frank