[LAU] Fwd: Proximity Effect and Dynamic EQ using LADSPA plugins?

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:31:49 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Justin Smith <noisesmith at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: [LAU] Proximity Effect and Dynamic EQ using LADSPA plugins?
To: Steve Fosdick <lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk>

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Steve Fosdick
<lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk> wrote:
> I found the following article on the net about compensating for
> proximity effect using a dynamic equalizer.
>
> http://rane.com/note1550.html
>
> Has anyone tried something like this with LADSPA plugins?  If so what
> plugins did you use?
>
> Regards,
> Steve.

I couldn't find the ladspa plugin that would do this standalone
(though I could swear I have seen it before somewhere), but jamin is
an audio mastering jack client where you can hand draw eq curves and
seperate frequency ranges can have different
gain/compression/expansion curves, so this seems to be pretty much
what jamin was designed for (if you have a sufficiently fast computer
jamin should be fine real-time, though it seems to be a bit more
post-processing oriented in terms of the built in workflow).

You should also be able to build a setup to do what the article
describes using ladspa plugins in PD, galan, alsa-modular, or ingen,
out of a few filters (simplest case, one low-pass, one bandpass, one
high-pass), with seperate compressors connected to the output of each
filter, if jamin is too big a sledgehammer for swatting this
particular fly.

oops, I meant to send this to the list