[LAU] chrt tool not working?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sun May 18 23:36:00 EDT 2008

Reuben Martin wrote:

> Why then are the threads assigned separate PIDs?

This is a byproduct of how threads are implemented in the Linux kernel;
they are just separate processes which share the same address map. The
way Linux does it is simpler that some other OSes which have separate
code to handle threads within a process vs processes themselves.

> I was under the assumption
> that PID stood for "Process Identifier".

Correct.

> (Perhaps "Posix thread IDentifier"
> would be a better definition of the acronym)  I was totally unaware that you
> could assign process threads separate scheduling priorities / policies apart
> from the parent process.

I think this is even a requirement for POSIX.

> Also, is it possible (within the context of programming) to assign threads
> individual names to give an indication as to what the specific PID is doing,
> or are thread PID names always named the same as the parent process?

Not sure.

> I'm sure these questions open up a whole can of worms dealing with the mess of
> conforming modern programming concepts to an aging POSIX framework.

What can of worms? What mess?

Quite honestly I think POSIX is showing far less signs of age that many
other far younger APIs (win32 I'm looking at you).

Erik