[LAU] OT: linux phone?

robert lazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Fri May 30 08:55:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:53 AM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
> On the topic of linux phones:
> Are there any that are completely free software?
>
> I think I read a while ago that there's still some proprietary stuff in
> there, the part that enables it to make calls or something.
> I wouldn't be happy with that kind of 'open' phone.

Yeah, there's still at least two proprietary parts in openmoko's
Freerunner: GSM and Glamo.

GSM: as open source its tough because there are FCC certifications involved.

Smedia Glamo 3362 (Graphics chip) :  NDAd .

I'm hoping glamo gets replaced, also for technical reasons (good, but
not great chip imho) .

Cheers,
Robert