[LAU] Recording Equipment

Sean Darby sean at seandarby.com
Mon Nov 3 15:06:54 EST 2008

> Welcome.

Thank you! :)

> > Would benefits would there be in using an actual analog mixer with a
> > DAW?
> >

> An analog mixer will be useful if you want to record a large number of
> instruments in a live setting and you don't have enough ports to capture
> them directly. It may also be useful for having control of your playback
> channels if you have more than two channels to playback.
>
> However a digital mixer with midi interface will allow you to create
> automated sessions then listen back to them without having to adjust the
> gain curves with your mouse.

Is there a digital mixer in the price range of an analog mixer?

I think that analog Yamaha MG166C (no fx) is ~$350.

> > Should I get an A/D D/A converter (like the Behringer ADA8000)?
> >
> It won't hurt to have one available.

Good to know. If I don't get one now I can put it on my "upgrades list"
for a year or so from now.

> > If I get a mixer with the "Delta 1010LT", will I need the ADA8000?
> >
> The mixer might have built in converters...

I don't think analog mixers have a/d d/a converters (aka just analog),
right?

If I get a digital mixer I'm guessing it will have that built in, though
otherwise would need the conversion at some point along the signal path.

> > Does the 1010LT already serve as an A/D D/A converter?
> >

> If you use the analog inputs then alsa or oss will do the conversion for
> you. If you use the adat interface then the mixer will do it.

Let's see if I understand this right...

2 mics going into 2 XLR jacks that are part of the 1010LT, which then
(PCI) goes into the rest of the computer where ALSA/OSS will recognize
it and process it.

What are the pros and cons behind using ADAT these days?

Is it now more common to use either the hard drive for recording or a
flash drive recorder than ADAT?

ADATs get pretty expensive pretty fast, if I can leave that out of the
equation (for now at least) that'll help.

> > What would anybody recommend?
> >
> How many instruments will you want to use/record at any one time?

Anywhere from 1 to 5+ simultaneous, mostly, each in stereo (will
gradually get more mics throughout this year).

Instruments I'll be micing:
2 electric guitars
1 electric bass
2 acoustic guitars

MIDI instruments I'll need to hook up:
1 electronic drumset
1 keyboard

The 1010LT PCI device has 1 MIDI I/O pair, I think I'll need 2 pairs of
I/Os for MIDI if I want both MIDI instruments going at once.

Is there "MIDI box" of sorts that allows for putting a couple+ MIDI
instruments simultaneously into only 1 MIDI I/O pair?

> Most studios require a mixer but many producers do not...

I plan on making my current music studio (where I teach music lessons) into a make-shift recording studio, though also plan on doing the producing aspects after recording (going in and working with the recordings via the computer).

> > I'm also looking for a MIDI keyboard, perhaps 88-keys but condensed such
> > that I can put it on the desk near the computer keyboard and LCD monitor
> > - intention on the MIDI keyboard is for composing and recording.

Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions on MIDI keyboards?

Thanks! :)

Sean