[LAU] Recording Equipment

Tobiah toby at tobiah.org
Tue Nov 4 15:06:52 EST 2008

Sean Darby wrote:
> Hi LAU!
>
> I'm new to the group, heard about it from some random forums.
>
> I'm looking into getting pretty much a "starter kit" for recording.
>
> I'm considering getting:
> 2 AT2020 mics
> 2 XLR cables
> 2 generic mic boom stands
> M-Audio Delta 1010LT (PCI sound card)

I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's.  They
generate very low noise (some say the least
of any condenser available).  This is key for
me because I'm interested in recording relatively
quiet sounds.

I went with a Mackie 1202VLZPro, as it provides
some flexibility, and sometimes knobs are nicer
than sliders.  It's also a great idea to have
enough channels for everything that you might
want to connect to the computer.  Buy a piece
of equipment, hook it up to the mixer, set the
levels and e.q., and forget it.

Check the specs on your soundcard.  I replaced
a Delta 44 with an echo Mia Midi, and the noise
floor is audibly lower.

There is a usenet group called rec.audio.pro (production)
where there are a hundred or so real-life professionals
who love to talk about this stuff.