[LAU] Recording Equipment

R.Wolff musicwolf at web.de
Fri Nov 7 06:30:24 EST 2008

Sean Darby schrieb:

> Does the S/PDIF allow for several simultaneous stereo tracks or is there
> a certain limit?

As Arnold (?) pointed out already, S/PDIF is _always_ Stereo.

>> Myself I have a 1010LT as well, and I hooked a Behringer 2442FX-Pro mixer to it.
>> The way I do it, is I connect the 'SUBGROUPS' 3 & 4 to the XLR inputs of
>> the 1010LT, as this gives me a balanced connection. The rest of the I/O's are
>> unbalanced,
>> so I hooked the 'Direct Out' of the first 6 mixer channels to the other inputs
>> of the Delta,
>> for 6 Mono instruments or any combination of Mono/Stereo (through paired inputs)
>> plus a
>> Stereo stream through the Sub 3/4, where I could send any additional instruments
>> as well if
>> I need more than 6 Inputs on the mixer. This gives me 8 tracks to record to (or
>> 4 stereo)
>> Hope, this gives you some more ideas.
>
> Are those 8 mono or 4 stereo tracks simultaneous? (Can they go into the
> computer at the same time during recording?)
>
> I'm a little confused. ;)

Yes, of course. That's what those multiple I/O audio-interfaces are for;
It doesn't depend on your mixer how many simultaneous (independant) tracks you'll
be able to record, but on your interface.
So the Delta 1010LT would give you 8 Mono or 4 Stereo tracks _plus_ 2 Mono or
1 Stereo track via the S/PDIF connection. Same goes for the outputs.
It's a tad complicated when starting with that stuff, but you'll be up to it in
no time
with the help of this (and possibly other) list(s).
Maybe have a look at http://www.soundonsound.com/articles/Technique.php as well,
they have literally hundreds of tutorials, tech advice etc on their site. Just
ignore the
OS dependant bits and watch out for tuts covering the very bases of getting
sound in & out
of your PC. Here's one article that should be of interest to you ;) :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct08/articles/qa1008_2.htm

Hope this helps you further

> -Sean

Raphael ;)