[LAU] Audacity strange behavior

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Mon Nov 10 17:58:26 EST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:25:05 +1100
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>
> > I think we experienced something similar once but I don't know problem
> > nor solution. wav-files have a header but I don't know of any kind of
> > meta-data, so this is unlikely.
>
> WAV files can potentially have an abundance of meta data. Don't
> discount this too quickly as a possibility.
>
> > My guess was and is a bug in audacity, one should contact the authors,
> > I haven't done so when we discovered this oddness.
>
> Well I'm the author of libsndfile which Audacity uses for its WAV
> file export. Lets investigate the issue here and then if audacity is
> actually the problem we report complete findings to them :-).
>
> Erik

OK, there are four files:

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Test1.wav
http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Test2.wav
http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Test3.wav
http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Test4.wav

Test1 is a short excerpt from the original recording that I
investigated. It is well clear of any clipping margins etc.

Test2-4 are copies made with Audacity's export function, and were made
one after the other, within seconds of each other, and without touching
anything else in Audacity (or any other application for that matter).

All have exactly the same byte count, and look identical to me in
Audacity.

Below are the md5sums I get for these.

will at folderol:~$ md5sum /share/Music/Test1.wav
184c0fb2af68f5f79438c4ba4a9f5352  /share/Music/Test1.wav
will at folderol:~$ md5sum /share/Music/Test2.wav
8e40bd5e2931fc1a9c53117ffbe22bf8  /share/Music/Test2.wav
will at folderol:~$ md5sum /share/Music/Test3.wav
351f5295df6b771a012f0bc1a959719f  /share/Music/Test3.wav
will at folderol:~$ md5sum /share/Music/Test4.wav
f07427e5b0d87e3158094d88f830f63f  /share/Music/Test4.wav
will at folderol:~$

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk