[LAU] Call for Hip Hop tracks

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Nov 13 02:51:19 EST 2008

The user "CharlieHipHop" (is he on this list?) has many releases on the http://lam.fugal.net site, which were apparently all made with Linux. I recall hearing some other hiphop-styled tracks on lam.fugal.net too.

> Btw, it appears that Ken Restivo has released 42 tracks this past year.
> Well done!!!! That's more than enough for an album. It's been hard to
> choose which one/s to include in the mix and I might be unable to listen
> to syncopated beats again for the next 6 months after yesterdays
> listening marathon :-)

Thanks! Over the past 2 years, I've somehow managed to release 138 tracks which were recorded completely on my own with Linux (i.e. never leaving JACK apps and softsynths), as well as an additional couple-dozen with AudioBraille and a couple from Me and My Cronies for which I used Linux softsynths and used JAMIN/Ardour for mastering.

Speaking of which (and not related to hip-hop at all): Me and My Cronies spent several months paring down only *one* three-hour studio session to 30 minutes that everyone in the band is happy releasing, and it is here:

http://www.archive.org/details/MeandMyCroniesCD

That CD was, alas, recorded and produced with ProTools, but the keyboard sounds are all Linux. However, I showed the producer JAMIN and JACK and Ardour, and he got very excited, and is eager to have me set up his MacBook Pro to dual-boot 64Studio for him. So the next Cronies CD, and possibly other projects as well, may be completely Made with Linux too (I hope).

Back to hip-hop again: Radioactive is the only MC I've been lucky enough to work with so far, but there are a couple made-exclusively-with-Linux grooves buried in my catalog that might be suitable for rhyming over, i.e.

http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/135/0/on-strike-0.1.1.ogg
http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/136/0/dennys-menu-0.1.ogg
http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/91/0/bowl-curler-0.3.ogg

It's all CC-BY-SA, of course.

Many many thanks to everyone on this list who assisted me in getting my system set up in late 2006 and early 2007, and to all the developers who wrote and maintained all this great Linuxd audio software!

-ken