[LAU] second qwerty

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 22:31:16 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> Justin Smith wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK here is no need to fool X, or modify your kernel. Tell X
>> precisely which device to use for keyboard input (the devices are in
>> the /dev/input/ directory, I recommend using the symlinks in
>> /dev/input/by-id/), and it will happily ignore all other keyboards.
>> After that, you just need to read the hid device created by the kernel
>> for that keyboard - if PD already has this coded, all the easier, but
>> the interface is very easy to use (I did something very similar, with
>> 8 mice connected to the computer, all but 1 ignored by X11 -- it was a
>> weekend hack, more or less, to make it work).
>
> That's really interesting. Did you have multiple mice controlling different
> programs?
>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd.

I had one pd patch, each mouse controlling 2 parameters (x/y) per
button combo (ie. left button controls one parameter pair, right
button another, left and right together yet another, middle plus right
a completely different pair, etc.). It was interesting, but way too
hard to visualize remember and keep track of that many interfaces at
once, I have upgraded to a behringer bcf2000 with the automated faders
- less interesting maybe, but much more usable.

I may eventually get the code into a semi usable state for public
distribution, it sent osc messages (and I think I even started on some
keyboard parsing code).