[LAU] more machine issues

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Nov 25 17:43:14 EST 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 22:41, garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
>  > Greetings,
>  >
>  > As I get further into the configuration of my new machine I've hit
>
> some minor snags. Perhaps someone here knows how to resolve these issues:
>  > 1) The machine does not cleanly shut down with the rt kernel. The
>
> system appears to go down, but the power light remains on and does not
> turn off manually (this happens with the battery in or out). Any fix for
> that ? I don't like having to switch off the power at the strip, I doubt
> that it's good for the box.
>
> i can't help with your other questions but this could a consequence of
> having the "acpi=off" and/or  "noapic" set in your kernel bootloader
> config.
>
> i don't remember which one disables the auto-power-off, but this is
> definitely the observed behaviour on my box. i have to physically switch
> it off after it shuts down.
>
> i set these boot options because they help with the way IRQs are
> allocated, which in turn allows better real-time performance.
>
> all the best, G.

I have to set acpi=off to get anything to boot up, otherwise the machine just
locks up when getting to starting X. Some of the distros on this machine will
not shutdown completely, and I also have to set acpi=force, which results in
the machine shutting down completely, and quite abruptly.

I havn't a clue about ACPI, and the man pages don't say much. This is on a PC,
not a laptop as you have, but it may be worth appending the kernel line with
acpi=force, and see how it goes.

Just a suggestion.

Nigel.