[LAU] more machine issues

garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 13:43:48 EST 2008

Dave Phillips wrote:
> garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
>> Dave Phillips wrote:
>>
>>  > 1) The machine does not cleanly shut down with the rt kernel. The
>> system appears to go down, but the power light remains on and does not
>> turn off manually (this happens with the battery in or out). Any fix for
>> that ? I don't like having to switch off the power at the strip, I doubt
>> that it's good for the box.
>>
>> i can't help with your other questions but this could a consequence of
>> having the "acpi=off" and/or  "noapic" set in your kernel bootloader
>> config.
>>
>> i don't remember which one disables the auto-power-off, but this is
>> definitely the observed behaviour on my box. i have to physically switch
>> it off after it shuts down.
>>
>> i set these boot options because they help with the way IRQs are
>> allocated, which in turn allows better real-time performance.
>>
> Hmm, so does that mean I have to live with the behavior ?

its likely, but not necessarily so.
I guess it depends on how your mobo assigns IRQs in the first place.
For me it was a necessity: setting the above options reduced the actual
number of IRQs in use and ended the "doubling up" of IRQs with my
soundcard.
I can live with flipping the switch : a small price for good rt performance.

> Btw, I upgraded the GNOME Control Center, it no longer replaces my
> Fluxbox background. :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Result! Fluxbox rox!