[LAU] e-piano

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 1 15:02:11 EDT 2008

hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:27:42 -0400
> Allan Wind <allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2008-08-20T15:37:54, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>>> I finally came around to test at least some e-pianos in a local
>>> shop. From those tried in the price range, the yamaha p85 appears
>>> to have the nicest keys and sound. It just doesn't have much else
>>> and is rather expensive (I can get it for 640 Euro new).
>> You might want to look at S90ES (I have a S90) which has similar nice
>> keys and sound with many more features.  It seemed a better value to
>> me than the P90 that I initially got.  Yamaha has portable stage
>> piano as well, but I do not recall the model number.
>>
>>> The M-Audio prokeys 88 is a bit cheaper and has some more keyboard
>>> functionality, but I also don't know how good the keys are in
>>> comparison.
>> I did not like the keys on the M-Audio at all.  You may want to check
>> out Roland and Kurzweil as well if you can.
>>

>> /Allan
>
> Thanks for all the help so far.
> Now it's getting serious.
> I think I'll get something along the lines of Yamaha P85, Casio PX-120
> or Korg SP-250. They appear pretty similar to me, I couldn't test the
> casio yet.
> Any recommendation?
>
> And the main reason for this message:
> It's possible to get three pedals for the Casio and the Yamaha, for The
> Korg there's only the sustain pedal.
>
> My question is:
> When and for what will I need the other pedals?

Well, the three traditional pedals on an acoustic piano are the sustain
pedal (lifts the dampers from all the strings), the damper pedal
(softens the tone by pressing the dampers harder against all the
strings, and a pedal that lifted the dampers on one half of the strings
(upper or lower, I forget which) so you could play something with two
hands in one half and have it sustain while you played something else in
the other half.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com