[LAU] linuxaudio.org

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sat Oct 25 10:26:09 EDT 2008

On Saturday 25 October 2008 09:34:54 you wrote:
> Hey Drew,
>
> Let me take this off list; feel free to reply there though after
> stripping the passwords below.

Done.

> drew Roberts wrote:
> > A lot of good stuff in that post and I may respond to other stuff later,
> > but for now I would like to touch on the two below.
> >
> > On Saturday 25 October 2008 05:40:14 Robin Gareus wrote:
> >> * http://ccmixter.linuxaudio.org - for a short time.around
> >> http://www.linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2007/11/15 we set up a
> >> bare-bone ccmixter.org intended for Music-Made-With-Linux. Should you
> >> desire to style and maintain a ccmixter community: here's your chance.
> >
> > I am interested in such a site for music not only made with linux but
> > carrying Free licenses like cc BY and BY-SA. I would need help and also
> > am concerned about the legal aspects of running such a site. Are there
> > legal resources and a legal entity umbrella to help with this?
>
> I'm sorry I can't help you with that; lam.fugal.net circumvents this by
> only collecting links to such songs, not the data itself.

OK, but I am wary of that too, thoughts anyone? A ccmixter type site would
actually host files... Hmmm, I wonder if the code could be changed to let the
internet archive host the files?

> linuxaudio.org can help out with technical aspects: setup, provide
> bandwidth, backup and diskspace. Someone else will need to jump in for
> the license details. - I guess you will need to provide a phone-number
> so that PPL can call in to remove cumbersome content :(

You are thinking DMCA type notification wrt "cumbersome content"???

> >> * http://radio.linuxaudio.org/
> >> Anyone interested? shall we stream random songs from lam.fugal.net ?!
> >> repeat talks from the LAC? or better no-stream than some weird random
> >> mix?
> >
> > Can you set up a rivendell box / network? (I can help with install and
> > config) If so, we could do a mix of automation and DJ picked programming.
> > Rivendell is quite fancy with what it can do.
>
> If you email me a ssh-public key and a preferred username I'll set up
> an account on linuxaudio.org for you.

I will get that to you if this looks like it could go further.

> a quick glance at
> http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/index.php/Install_under_Debian
> we don't have X and we don't have jackd running (yet).

If this is only to be streamed, it can be done from a box with no sound card
if need be.

There are some alternatives to rivendell for broadcast radio in the linux
world, but I have not been able to wrap my head around the ones that seek to
be fancy like rivendell. I have run a few of the simple ones though.

> If you want to try the current icecast - <<snip>>
> If successful we can making radio.linuxaudio.org a dedicated machine
> (share bandwidth with download.linuxaudio.org) as to not disturb users
> surfing the web..

Well, the rivendell stuff would use the icecast stuff. Via darkice or ices.
This too would involve actually having the files to be played in an audio
repository and database as that is how rivendell functions. It is designed
for broadcast radio.

> I'm off now, but I'll be back online later tonight and tomorrow.
> robin

Thanks for the response. I would like to kick this around some and see what
the interest and support levels are before jumping into something that will
be allowed to die. I would like to see these prosper if we start them up.

all the best,

drew