[LAU] linuxaudio.org

Burkhard Ritter burkhard at linuxaudio.org
Sun Oct 26 19:11:53 EDT 2008

drew Roberts schrieb:
>>> I am interested in such a site for music not only made with linux but
>>> carrying Free licenses like cc BY and BY-SA. I would need help and also
>>> am concerned about the legal aspects of running such a site. Are there
>>> legal resources and a legal entity umbrella to help with this?
>> I'm sorry I can't help you with that; lam.fugal.net circumvents this by
>> only collecting links to such songs, not the data itself.
>
> OK, but I am wary of that too, thoughts anyone? A ccmixter type site would
> actually host files... Hmmm, I wonder if the code could be changed to let the
> internet archive host the files?

I don't see the problem there. If we are careful with the licenses it
should be fine to host and stream the music. Now I haven't looked at
ccmixter.org in detail but it seems to be pretty large, complicated;
probably overkill for us. What I could imagine is taking the
lam.fugal.net-add-music-page and adding some stuff: _optionally_ allow
users to upload the file instead of (or additionally to) providing a
url, requiring them to choose a license (most likely Creative Commons)
that actually allows us to host and stream the file. Visitors can then
download appropriately licensed music from linuxaudio.org. Later we
could add a moderated or random stream, in addition to a m3u playlist.

>> linuxaudio.org can help out with technical aspects: setup, provide
>> bandwidth, backup and diskspace. Someone else will need to jump in for
>> the license details. - I guess you will need to provide a phone-number
>> so that PPL can call in to remove cumbersome content :(
>
> You are thinking DMCA type notification wrt "cumbersome content"???

Is there really need for something like this? When we just accept
properly licensed music files?

Regards,
Burkhard