[LAU] Any word on an rt kernel for Fedora 9?

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon Oct 27 05:56:24 EDT 2008

Cassiel wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
>
> I confirm midi is working with 2.6.26-8 on debian lenny but jackd
> freezes trying to stop when with snd_seq. (DLs state in the output of
> `ps -ax`).
>
> I didn't test the other alternatives (not a midi fan... simple user) but
> I am going to and feedback to this thread.

(am i the only one to be aware of this?)

midi is seriously broken on 2.6.26-rt, specially when driven outboard;
events delivered out of time if at all, outrageous jitter and
unpredictable drop outs; internally sequenced material (eg. queueing
events to a softsynth) might work barely but that is just little comfort.

note that this badness applies to PREEMPT_RT kernels >= 2.6.26, vanilla
is fine afaict.

all that trouble seems to be related to a regression in 2.6.26-rc2 that
just made the bkl non preemptible anymore, leaving the -rt people with a
herculean task to comply--look after Ingo Molnar's "Kill the BKL" tree
for news...

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela