[LAU] Any word on an rt kernel for Fedora 9?

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 27 08:38:04 EDT 2008

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> midi is seriously broken on 2.6.26-rt, specially when driven outboard;
> events delivered out of time if at all, outrageous jitter and
> unpredictable drop outs; internally sequenced material (eg. queueing
> events to a softsynth) might work barely but that is just little comfort.
>
> note that this badness applies to PREEMPT_RT kernels >= 2.6.26, vanilla
> is fine afaict.
>
> all that trouble seems to be related to a regression in 2.6.26-rc2 that
> just made the bkl non preemptible anymore, leaving the -rt people with a
> herculean task to comply--look after Ingo Molnar's "Kill the BKL" tree
> for news...

I keep hearing rumors that the kernel devs are basically trying to make
the vanilla kernel "rt-capable", meaning I think that they want to make
special patching unnecessary for the task. What we're seeing now are
side-effects of this effort, which will hopefully right itself soon.

Only rumors, I'm afraid. If someone out there has some real knowledge on
this issue, feel free to speak up. :-)

-- Darren