[LAU] realtime kernel on ubuntu 8.04

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 04:34:27 EDT 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:

> My old thinkpad running ubuntu 7.10 died and I'm now on a new laptop
> (toshiba satellite) with ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I'm having a lot of trouble getting good realtime performance, not sure
> what's caused by ubuntu or the laptop.
>
> I installed "linux-rt" which seems to have provided some kind of
> realtime kernel:
> atte at vestbjerg:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.24-19-rt
>
> I also edited /etc/security/limits.conf to contain:
> @audio - prio 99
> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - nice -10
>
> I can run jack with rt-priority 80, but am getting x-runs and audio
> breakup even at light load and conservative latency  (17ms).
>
> One of the things I have a feeling might be causing trouble is
> pulseaudio. Should this be disabled, and if so how?

Don't know how, but you certainly don't need PulseAudio since you're
using JACK. How about just uninstalling it? Oh, someone on the list
posted an email in the last day or so explaining how to disable
PulseAudio. You might find that in the archives. A Google search found a
recommendation to uninstall the packages kde-settings-pulseaudio and
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.

> What else am I missing?
>
> NB: I'm mostly testing this with eXT2, which performed great on my thinkpad.
>
> NB2: This is a dualcore, 2Ghz, 2Gb ram machine with a fresh ubuntu 8.04
>
> Any ideas appreciated

I have a Toshiba Satellite. You may find that the built-in Intel video
contributes a lot to xruns - and I'm not sure what you can do about it.

Oh, and if you're not using the wireless connection, make sure to
disable it, or the silly wireless driver will keep right on checking for
a wireless signal, even if the external antenna switch is off.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community