[LAU] Exciter plugin was: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 19, Issue 9

Bengt Gördén bengan at bag.org
Wed Sep 10 01:28:09 EDT 2008

Den Wednesday 10 September 2008 00.48.08 skrev Tiago Tavares:
> Hello
> What does the exciter plugin do?

Short and concise by Soundonsound.

EXCITER: An enhancer that works by synthesizing new high frequency harmonics.

ref.
http://www.soundonsound.com/information/Glossary.php

I did see an article about adding exciter-effect manually in audacity. Don't
know if it works though. I believe it is up to the individual sound cards how
they work in this example.

1.) select and duplicate the track(s) you want to apply the effect to.
2.) select the duplicate track. Using the "equalization" function in the
effects list, reduce all frequencies to the left of 5k hz down as far as they
will go. This essentially leaves nothing but program frequencies above 5k hz
3.) Select the duplicate track. Using the "amplifiy" function in the effects
list, bump up the pre-selected, defauult value by about 3 or 4. be sure to
un-check the check-box for "allow clipping" (you DO want to allow clipping).
The duplicate track now is a high pitched, rather distorted version of the
original.
4.) select the duplicate track and using control-1, zoom in so you can see
individule wave bumps (I usually hit it about 19 times). Using the shift
tool, shift the duplicat track forward a "hair", maybe 8 jumps (I dont know
what fraction of a second this is, but it is not much).

Play bak the duplicate at a level just loud enough to hear a little
enhancement. You can use the mute button on the duplicate track to switch
between regualr and enhanced mode. Adjust the level of the duplicate track to
your liking...too much of an "aural exciter" can be a bad thing, so use it
sparingly.

ref.
http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2973&p=20927

/bengan