[LAU] kicks

Rob lau at kudla.org
Thu Sep 11 10:49:40 EDT 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 10:31, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I've worked out the solos to Cream's Badge and to Dire Straits' Sultans
> Of Swing, now I'm on to Joe Perry's leads in Aerosmith's Walk This Way.
> Yeh, pretty old school, but still great solos.

Not to hijack a thread or anything, but what guitar solos that are widely
regarded as great aren't "pretty old school"?  The last one I heard in
mainstream rock that I really liked was Kim Thayil's solo in Black Hole
Sun in the early 90s, and that one was as overplayed as Stairway.  I like
some Queens of the Stone Age solos but don't know if Josh Homme is
regarded as a guitar god like Clapton, Knopfler and Perry either.  Same
with the Mars Volta.  And I like a lot of indie rock but I'm not really
hearing too many future inclusions in Guitar Hero from that direction.

The kids who are picking up a guitar for the first time today, what are
they trying to play?  It's not really the kind of thing you can google.

Rob