[LAU] native linux vst, esp zynaddsubfx

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 14:39:52 EDT 2008

Hi

Yesterday I stumbled upon http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=8. I
was surprised to find zynaddsubfx there, but unfortunately it doesn't
work. The problem is that the plugin doesn't get it's UI drawn, instead
there appears a window about the right size but it gets filled with some
of the hosts UI. There are at least one other plugin from that page that
behaves like this.

What could be the cause for this? I can think of several possibilities:

1) Problems with the host's (energyXT2) graphical rendering.

2) In compatibility between the plugin and some graphical lib on my
machine. I tried to compile the plugin but it failed. I then downloaded
the vst_sdk(version 2.3, 2.4 and 3) from steinberg and made the
compilation run a bit further by copying the missing files. Now it stops at:
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/atte/eXT2/plugins/instruments/new/zynaddsubfx/src/Output'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`../../vstsdk2/source/common/AEffEditor.hpp', needed by
`VSTaudiooutput.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/atte/eXT2/plugins/instruments/new/zynaddsubfx/src/Output'
make[1]: *** [Output] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/atte/eXT2/plugins/instruments/new/zynaddsubfx/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2
The file AEffEditor.hpp is nowhere to be found inside the sdk's I
downloaded, I suspect it's because it's from an older version, in any
case how do I proceed with compiling zynaddsubfx as a vst plugin?

3) Problems related to compiz/accel/X on my machine. I've seen this
before: some program doesn't like to be run under compiz and have flakey
redrawing. How can I run a non accelerated xorg (to see if this fixes
the problem)? I mean simply selecting "None" under
preferences->appearence->visual effects (gnome) wouldn't really disable
accelerated rendering, would it? And with the new ubuntu (and this new
laptop) I don't see any mention of acceleration in xorg.conf

Any input including similar experiences and suggestions are appreciated!

--
Atte

http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk