[LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Tue Sep 16 05:25:20 EDT 2008

Roberto Gordo Saez schrieb:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 08:29:44AM -0600, Stephen Doonan wrote:

> There are very, very few free samples out there.

Really? - I was not aware of hat since I only use  samples recorded by
myself.

> So my first and most important goal is to create a collection of free
> samples for several instruments.

I hear that as a wake up call. I was not completely asleep until now though:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/

but I will upload more stuff to these folders now, hope it will help.
All files here are made my me from scratch(analogue source, microphone,
editors) and I release them under a Creative Commons Attribution
licence. So all derivatives, including commercial ones are permitted.
Drop me a line, if you would prefer a different (free) license.

> Next, it is required to create
> soundfonts from those samples.

I must admit, that I basicly hate the concept of soundfonts. Most of
them try to mimic a real instrument but the real thing is still the real
thing.
Much different I consider the usage of samples in real sampler-apps like
Specimen, that allow to manipulate how each sample should sound like. So
you can build new sounds using samples. Such sounds are something
genuine then and not just a puny copy of a real instrument. Soundfonts
are just too compact and closed.

But of course thats my personal opinion and I know, that many people use
soundfonts to produce cool music(and I fear I would not recognize if
there is a real Rhodes in a song or a carefully made up soundfont of a
Rhodes ;-)).

So go on - use my samples in your soundfonts, if you have a use for
them. But maybe we could collaborate in making banks for Specimen too.

There is just one stupid obstacle: Specimen stores the path to the
wav-files allways as an absolute path and it refuses to read them from a
relative path. So the banks are not easily to be
transported/distributed. I use to adjust the path by hand in the
bankfiles if needed but of course thats not acceptable for the normal
user....

Still Specimen is a great app to work with samples and I wish, it would
have more attention... THis one is made within aprx. 15 minutes from
scratch with Specimen(playing my guitarsamples see above) and Seq24:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/demos/specibasse.ogg

best egs

HZN