[LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 06:09:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:25:20AM +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Roberto Gordo Saez schrieb:
> > There are very, very few free samples out there.
>
> Really? - I was not aware of hat since I only use  samples recorded by
> myself.

The freepats project have been struggling to get free samples for
years. I personally contacted myself with many sample and soundfont
authors via email. Since their samples were available for free
(gratis), I've asked if they where also willing to release them under a
free license, and the responses were always:

- No response (first most common "response")
- The samples were taken from unknown or copyrighted sources (second
  most common response)
- The samples are free for non-commercial usage only, or contain other
  restriction

So I've recently got a M-Audio Delta 66 sound card and a Phonic compact
mixer, cheap from ebay, to start producing free soundbanks myself. I'm
still missing a good mic, though.

> I hear that as a wake up call. I was not completely asleep until now though:
>
> http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/
>
> but I will upload more stuff to these folders now, hope it will help.
> All files here are made my me from scratch(analogue source, microphone,
> editors) and I release them under a Creative Commons Attribution
> licence. So all derivatives, including commercial ones are permitted.
> Drop me a line, if you would prefer a different (free) license.

I'm sending this email to the freepats list, I'm sure that people there
will jump from their chairs when reading this :-)

Thank you very much.

> So go on - use my samples in your soundfonts, if you have a use for
> them. But maybe we could collaborate in making banks for Specimen too.

I think its a good idea, I'm also aware of the limitations of the sf2
format. I will start looking into banks for Specimen ASAP.