[LAU] licensing fun

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:45:41 EDT 2008

>> The trouble with using a similar license for LS is a major potential
>> commercial implementation (including it in hardware) would not have to
>> pay anything for using LS code..
>
> And how much code are they depending on that they are not paying for?

Do you mean the LS project? Do you mean library dependencies? As far
as I know the authors of LS wrote all the libraries they depend on
themselves.. which are licensed for distribution under proper GPL (but
of course as they wrote them they do not have to abide by these
conditions - hence being able to link a more restrictive program - LS
to GPLed libraries). I am skimming over the fact the LS license is
considered broken by many - I am just trying to state what I
understand the authors' intentions were..

If you mean the LS project, and the other free software they use - gcc
etc. Then you have a point, but people are allowed to release both
free and less-free software - after all, they have the right to try to
make money out of their efforts.. and they did release all the
libraries under GPL..

My experience from the mailing list is the LS developers are a very
reasonable and helpful bunch, and they aren't out to get one over on
anyone.. It is possible that they might be willing to fully GPL the LS
code in exchange for some community based funding...

James