[LAU] Rosegarden crashes - anything obvious to look for?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 06:21:02 EDT 2008

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Quoth david at 2008-09-24 16:01...
>> Matthew Smith wrote:
>>> Quoth Norval Watson at 2008-09-24 09:12...
>>> Happens with both my RT kernel AND my regular one:
>>> RT: 2.6.24.7-rt17
>>> Regular: 2.6.23-gentoo-r4 SMP PREEMPT
>> Rosegarden version? Version of KDE?
>
> Thanks for your reply, David.
>
> Same with both 1.5.1 and 1.7.2 (I updated to see if it would fix the
> problem.)

Hmmm, I've never had the problem you mention with RG 1.5.1,
1.6.something, or my current 1.7.0.

> According to Konsole, the only KDE application I've got running, KDE is
> at 3.5.9.  I don't particularly want to update this unless I have to
> because there tend to be a LOT of dependencies and an update of
> something the size of KDE can take a LONG time.

I'm using KDE 3.5.9, too. 32-bit version, though - IIRC, you said you're
on a 64-bit system?

>> There's also a Rosegarden email list with excellent support at
>> rosegarden-user at lists.sourceforge.net.
>
> I was looking through the information for either that or it may have
> been the Rosegarden bug tracker yesterday and noted some comment that I
> interpreted as "if you are using a package from a distro, don't come
> complaining to us."

FWIW, I seem to recall seeing that sort of thing on a number of Linux
program's websites. I've even seen one or two that basically said,
"Don't talk to us about anything except a version you compiled from our
current CVS ... "

> And that's why I asked here first, in case it was a familiar problem.

I'd ask the RG list, anyway. I've never used any RG that *didn't* come
with the Debian distro, and no one on the list has had any problems
helping me. Or others who've had problems with RG, whether from a
package or compiled from source.

> As nobody has jumped up and said "ooh, yes, that's the so-and-so bug", I
> think that my next step will be to build Rosegarden by hand, rather than
> relying on the Gentoo ebuild - no idea what weird patches they may have
> thrown into the mix.  Waste of time putting it on the Gentoo Bugzilla as
>   I've had a bug open for Zynaddsubfx for something like a year now.
> (That has been resolved through a patch which still hasn't got into the
> Gentoo packaging system; looks like there's very little package
> maintenance going on for things like this and I ain't doing it as I
> can't get my head around the dev side of the Gentoo build system.)

Is Gentoo still the "tell us all about your system and how you want it
configured, then wait a few days while your computer custom compiles
everything in perfectly optimized form for itself"? If so, I wouldn't be
surprised to find some Gentoo-generated compile time "optimization" at
the root of things ...

> If the problem persists once I've built everything by hand, I will
> indeed bounce this off to rosegarden-user and will notify this list with
> the outcome.

I'm on both lists. There may well be others, too.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community