[LAU] kernel install problem redux

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Apr 5 08:09:51 EDT 2009

Greetings,

Here's the scenario: My notebook includes an Ubuntu 8.10 installation
and one for 64 Studio 3.0 beta 2. Recently I added a new rt kernel to
the Ubuntu installation. The active grub menu/loader is on the 64 Studio
partition, so I copied the information from the Ubuntu
/boot/grub/menu.lst to 64 Studio's menu.lst. I figured that since I can
boot into the Ubuntu non-realtime kernel from that menu, I ought to be
able to boot the new kernel just as easily. Alas, it just ain't so. The
kernel loader fails every time with an error saying that
/dev/disk/by-uuid/* can't be found.

Before I get advice re: the whole UUID mess, know that I've already
replaced the uuid strings with the direct drive specification
(/dev/sda1) and that I still receive the same error, but referring to
/dev/sda1 instead of the uuid spec. In other words, it doesn't work.

This weirdness bothers me: My regular Ubuntu kernel loads without
troubles from 64 Studio's grub menu, yet my rt kernel (2.6.24-18-rt)
won't, even though it has the same uuid. Grrr...

So, I ask again: Is there some way to update grub in 64 Studio so that
it will load my Ubuntu rt kernel ? Has anyone else run into this problem
? It's certainly well-known on Google, but so far none of the suggested
fixes have worked.

Anyone have any further ideas for me to try ?

Best,

dp