[LAU] kernel install problem redux

ben brouits at free.fr
Sun Apr 5 08:49:50 EDT 2009

Dave Phillips a écrit :
> Here's the scenario: My notebook includes an Ubuntu 8.10 installation
> and one for 64 Studio 3.0 beta 2. Recently I added a new rt kernel to
> the Ubuntu installation. The active grub menu/loader is on the 64 Studio
> partition, so I copied the information from the Ubuntu
> /boot/grub/menu.lst to 64 Studio's menu.lst. I figured that since I can
> boot into the Ubuntu non-realtime kernel from that menu, I ought to be
> able to boot the new kernel just as easily. Alas, it just ain't so. The
> kernel loader fails every time with an error saying that
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/* can't be found.
I don't think it is a grub issue, since, AFAIK, /dev/disk/by-uuid is
managed at runtime by udev and the kernel itself. I suppose the kernel
loaded fine, but udev has not started, so that /dev/disk/* links are not
created yet. This can also, udev being not configured properly, simply
be an fstab issue for the first mount operation. what is your /etc/fstab
of ?
- ben