[LAU] kernel install problem redux

Cedric Roux sed at free.fr
Mon Apr 6 04:30:41 EDT 2009

----- "Dave Phillips" <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:

> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >
> > can you post the relevant lines from /boot/grub/menu.lst and
> > /boot/grub/device.map as well as your /etc/fstab ?
> >

> Hi, Joern :
>
> Okay, here's the juice. These reports were generated while in 64
> Studio :
>
> ********* start conditions on 64 Studio partition *****************
>
> from /boot/grub/menu.lst :
>
> title          Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.24-18-rt (on /dev/sda1)
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel         /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-18-rt
> root=UUID=9ff18eb0-4c84-41d3-bf5e-0c6f4b9c3c7d ro quiet splash
> initrd         /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-18-rt
> savedefault
> boot
> ********* end conditions on 64 Studio partition *****************

> ********* start conditions on Ubuntu Intrepid partition
> *****************
>
> from /boot/grub/menu.lst :
>
> title          Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.24-18-rt
> uuid           9ff18eb0-4c84-41d3-bf5e-0c6f4b9c3c7d
> kernel         /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-18-rt
> root=UUID=9ff18eb0-4c84-41d3-bf5e-0c6f4b9c3c7d ro quiet splash
> initrd         /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-18-rt
> quiet

Hi Dave,

I don't understand your setup.
How many disks do you have? (apparently one, is it correct?)
How is the disk partitioned?
Normally you have only one grub file with several "title blabla" stuff inside.
In your "ubuntu intrepid partition" file I see no "root (hd0,0)" line.
That might be the problem (but since I don't understand your setup,
don't fight too much with that if adding the line doesn't change
anything).

Ok, normally, here is what you should do:
only one /boot/grub/menu.lst file
in this file, several entries.
Just copy all the lines from the first entry, and change the
line "root (hd0,0)" to point to the correct partition (maybe
(hd0,1), you should check your partitions with fdisk to get
the number, or inside grub you can have a command line
(don't remember how)
and press: root (hd0,"TAB" it should output a list of available
partitions (if I remember well, it's been a long since I
played with this grub).
I don't know anything about these "uuid" stuff, heck did windows
win some kind of game in there? what is this crappy line?
Anyway, pass /dev/sdaXX where XX is the partition where
the intrepid partition resides in the "root" line and remove the
uuid one (unless you are absolutely sure information in there
is correct). I don't think it's /dev/sda1 since sda1 is where your
64 studio system is. Or do they share the partition and it's
just the kernel that changes? In which case the "kernel"
line should be adjusted.

Ah, and to see if your changes in the grub file are taken
into account (a doubt just popped up in my brain since you
use a initrd stuff) try to change the title and see if it
is reflected in the grub's menu. Maybe you edit the wrong
file (but since stuff happens, you may well edit the correct
one, I'm not that good with initrd stuff...)

Hope it helps.
If not, try to contact me off-list, we're getting slightly
off topic here.

Booting is not that hard guys. Writing cool audio software
is much much harder. You have to deal with people, not
stupid boring machines. :)

C.