[LAU] kernel install problem redux

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:54:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Here's the scenario: My notebook includes an Ubuntu 8.10 installation
> and one for 64 Studio 3.0 beta 2. Recently I added a new rt kernel to
> the Ubuntu installation. The active grub menu/loader is on the 64 Studio
> partition, so I copied the information from the Ubuntu
> /boot/grub/menu.lst to 64 Studio's menu.lst. I figured that since I can
> boot into the Ubuntu non-realtime kernel from that menu, I ought to be
> able to boot the new kernel just as easily. Alas, it just ain't so. The
> kernel loader fails every time with an error saying that
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/* can't be found.
>
> Before I get advice re: the whole UUID mess, know that I've already
> replaced the uuid strings with the direct drive specification
> (/dev/sda1) and that I still receive the same error, but referring to
> /dev/sda1 instead of the uuid spec. In other words, it doesn't work.
>
> This weirdness bothers me: My regular Ubuntu kernel loads without
> troubles from 64 Studio's grub menu, yet my rt kernel (2.6.24-18-rt)
> won't, even though it has the same uuid. Grrr...
>
> So, I ask again: Is there some way to update grub in 64 Studio so that
> it will load my Ubuntu rt kernel ? Has anyone else run into this problem
> ? It's certainly well-known on Google, but so far none of the suggested
> fixes have worked.
>
> Anyone have any further ideas for me to try ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Dave,
   Is there any reason you really even need the UUID stuff? Why not dump it?

   When I've had troubles booting new kernels about half the time it's
because the kernel is recognizing my hardware differently. (I.e. -
used to be /sda, now /hda, used to be /hda, now /hde, etc.) You don't
say what new kernel you're trying to boot but because the one you say
does boot is fairly old there's a chance this is going on here.

   Have you tried the trick in grub itself where you force grub to
find the drives using tab command completion? That generally works for
me.

- Mark