[LAU] kernel install problem redux

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Apr 7 11:27:19 EDT 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
>    Is there any reason you really even need the UUID stuff? Why not dump it?

Hi Mark,

I did try replacing the UUID stuff with direct disk specifications but
got no joy. As it happens, I decided this morning to uninstall the rt
kernel (the one that wouldn't load) and installed a different one
(2.6.24-23-rt). I copied its grub entry from /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
Intrepid partition to /boot/grub/menu.lst on my 64 Studio partition. I
rebooted, selected the new kernel from the grub menu, and voila, it loaded.

When I installed the new kernel I also searched the repo for everything
with 2.6.24-23-rt in its name. I installed some packages I'm sure I did
*not* install for the previous (non-loading) kernel.

So I have a bootable rt kernel for Ubuntu 8.10. Now I have to find the
best settings for Jack, I'm getting too many xruns.

Thanks to everyone who responded. The UUID problem was a reminder to me
that Linux changes constantly. It gets difficult to keep up sometimes, I
appreciate the help here.

Best,

dp