[LAU] Control Alesis SR-16 drum machine with midi via jack

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Sat Apr 18 01:11:52 EDT 2009

I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine that I want to control with muse (or
seq24) via midi.  the SR-16 plugs into my EchoAudio AudioFire12 (AF12)
midi ports.  My computer is running Fedora 10 CCRMA.  I'm using jack,
a2jmidi, and muse.  I'm not sure where I'm confused - I may have Muse,
jack, or a2jmidi misconfigured.

It's easier to show than describe how the jack patch is configured.  In
FIGURE1 you can see the jack audio is configured and connected.
Everything works perfectly there, I can record audio with Ardour all day
without problems.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/troutpocket/figure1.jpg

When I look at the midi tab I see FIGURE2.  Then I start 'a2jmidid -e'
and see FIGURE3.  Then I start Muse and see FIGURE4.  The final
configurations in the alsa tab are in FIGURE5. Disregard the connections
as they're made in the pictures.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/troutpocket/figure2.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/troutpocket/figure3.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/troutpocket/figure4.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/troutpocket/figure5.jpg

Here's the output from 'a2jmidid -e'

[fed at f10 ~]$ a2jmidid -e
JACK MIDI <-> ALSA sequencer MIDI bridge, version 4 (123) built on Wed
Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
Copyright 2006,2007 Dmitry S. Baikov
Copyright 2007,2008 Nedko Arnaudov

Bridge starting...
Using JACK server 'default'
Hardware ports will be expored.
port created: Midi Through (capture): Midi Through Port 0
port created: Midi Through (playback): Midi Through Port 0
Bridge started
Press ctrl-c to stop the bridge

Once this is all said and done... I need to configure Muse with the
correct settings.

Sync Mode: Master?
Midi Song Type: GM?
O-Port: qjackctl or Midi Through Port-0?

I believe the general midi drum map in muse is pretty much the same
layout as in the SR-16.

I'd love to use seq24 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to
place notes on the piano-roll, and it only shows notes instead of the
drum map.

Anyway, I'm massively confused by too many choices here.  Any help is
very much appreciated.

-Scott