[LAU] Control Alesis SR-16 drum machine with midi via jack

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sat Apr 18 02:25:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, April 18, 2009 12:11 am, Scott wrote:
> I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine that I want to control with muse (or
> seq24) via midi.  the SR-16 plugs into my EchoAudio AudioFire12 (AF12)
> midi ports.  My computer is running Fedora 10 CCRMA.  I'm using jack,
> a2jmidi, and muse.  I'm not sure where I'm confused - I may have Muse,
> jack, or a2jmidi misconfigured.

1. In case you don't know, you don't have to use JACK MIDI
   if you don't want to.  Most JACK Audio apps work just fine
   using ALSA for midi.

2. Instead of a2jmidi, have you tried:

      $ jackd -d alsa -Xseq

   This is the built-in ALSA-to-JACK midi bridge.

3. Don't connect anything on the ALSA page of QJackCtl.
   Just make your connections on the MIDI page.

> Sync Mode: Master?
> Midi Song Type: GM?
> O-Port: qjackctl or Midi Through Port-0?

Sync Mode doesn't matter unless there are other programs you want to sync.
with.  I'm not sure about the others... probably *not* GM.  (For example,
a GM Drumkit alway transmits on channel 10... but what if your SR-16 is
configured to channel 1?)

> I'd love to use seq24 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to
> place notes on the piano-roll, and it only shows notes instead of the
> drum map.

Place note:  In the grid area click and hold your RMB.  With the RMB held
down click your LMB.  seq24 comes with a README, and I think that this
(and other stuff) is in there... but you have to read slow.

> Anyway, I'm massively confused by too many choices here.  Any help is
> very much appreciated.

Another choice:  The Non Sequencer (http://non-sequencer.tuxfamily.org/)
is very much like seq24 and uses JACK MIDI.

--
               G a b r i e l   M   B e d d i n g f i e l d