[LAU] Laptop as portable synth/effects box?

Dan S danstowell+lxau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:20:33 EDT 2009

Yes, why not. You get much nicer results if you use an external sound
card rather than trying to hook up to the small jacks on most laptops
(because of impedance matching but also balanced sockets help
eliminate hum etc), which adds to cost if you don't already have that.

It's unlikely that you need a machine with a particuarly fast
processor, if you're doing straightforward effects and maybe a
softsynth too. The main concern is to use a system that can give
low-latency audio I/O, since the guitarist/violinist/whoever will
*very* quickly notice the latency and feel very uncomfortable with it,
if it's more than (say) one or two dozen milliseconds. So do use a
linux distro with a real-time kernel (e.g. ubuntu studio, pure:dyne).

HTH
Dan

http://www.mcld.co.uk