[LAU] Laptop as portable synth/effects box?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 29 05:59:54 EDT 2009

Dan S wrote:

> Yes, why not. You get much nicer results if you use an external sound
> card rather than trying to hook up to the small jacks on most laptops
> (because of impedance matching but also balanced sockets help
> eliminate hum etc), which adds to cost if you don't already have that.

I use a USB sound card (Behringer UCA202) that has line-level stereo RCA
jack inputs and outputs - I wouldn't waste time running the output of
that old laptop's onboard Intel audio into a real sound system!

> It's unlikely that you need a machine with a particularly fast
> processor, if you're doing straightforward effects and maybe a
> softsynth too. The main concern is to use a system that can give
> low-latency audio I/O, since the guitarist/violinist/whoever

In this case, me on keyboard.

> will *very* quickly notice the latency and feel very uncomfortable with it,
> if it's more than (say) one or two dozen milliseconds. So do use a
> linux distro with a real-time kernel (e.g. ubuntu studio, pure:dyne).

I was thinking I'd do that. I've downloaded a number of them. I'm not
using a real-time kernel on my regular laptop, and it shows.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community