[LAU] AVLinux (Was: a bunch of stuff)

Norval Watson norv2001 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 2 18:58:05 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----
> From: Atte Andre Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com>
> To: Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org>

> Ken Restivo wrote:
>
> > For example, for *two years* I ran Debian Sid on my laptop. But it
> > was a snapshot from May 2007 (with I think one update sometime
> > afterwards). So it was quite stable, even though Sid is always under
> > heavy construction. I solved the instability problem by never typing
> > "apt-get upgrade" :-)
>
> Of course by doing this you 1) never get security upgrades, and 2)
> eventually can't install software anymore, since the current versions
> starts needing newer libs.
>
> I also did something similar (ran debian stable, doing my upgrades,
> though) for years, but switched back to a rolling upgrade (but not
> before gigs) model. ATM I'd rather handle problems once in a while, one
> at the time, and be able to work with new versions of the software I run.
>
> --
> Atte
>
> http://atte.dk  http://modlys.dk  http://virb.com/atte

Another way is to run two or three partitions on your box and a separate data partition/drive.
Keep two sid partitions, run dist-upgrade on them alternately.
If you get a conflict, freeze or some other weirdness on one, don't upgrade the other until the coast is clear, ie. the first partition upgrades cleanly again.
Install bug-buddy so you will be given a list of bugs and the choice to abort before continuing any upgrade.
And I don't think you get any security updates for sid, you would have to keep a third stable partition for that.
And don't forget - Sid is named after the boy who destroys toys ;)
HTH
Norv