[LAU] Jack-enabled CLI Player

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Aug 3 19:48:29 EDT 2009

>>> mplayer fits the bill perfectly imho and I'm not convinced that it's
>>> that heavy - it actually uses very little memory when just playing a
>>> sound file (mp3, ogg, wave).
>>>
>> Does mplayer auto sense if jack is being used and fall back to
>> pulse/gstreamer/esd/alsa/oss if not? Maybe David just needs a small
>> script that willl check the existance of a running jack and trigger the
>> correct commandline.
>>
> Done in mplayer with option -ao jack,alsa (pulse can be in this list as well)!

That's very handy to know.

>> Does anyone have an example of a bash command to check if jack is running?
>>
>> ex. (untested)
>>
>> !# /bin/bash
>>
>> if(jack_connect 2>&1 | grep "server not running")
>>
>>       alsaplayer -i text file.ogg
>>
>> else
>>
>>       alsaplayer -i text -o jack file.ogg
>>

>>> If you want a program to have "signal sounds" an external sound player
>>> is bulky regardless of the player used. Jack itself also sounds a bit
>>> overkill. This sounds like the use-case for system sounds, esd, pulse,
>>> etc.
>>>
>> I agree. Do you want this feature to work so that you can hear the phone
>> calls when jack is running or do you have a more specific need for
>> piping the audio through jack?
>>
> I am using the computer, possibly for listening or audio using jack or not.
> The applet needs to work regardless.

I have a hunch that this will become a very common scenario so I might
whip up a quick toot for this problem as an example for future
reference... Would you be interested in added a section on your experience?

Just a few lines or a paragraph about what you needed to do and the
solution would be very useful.