[LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Michael Bohle opendaw at jacklab.org
Wed Aug 5 12:06:15 EDT 2009

Betreff: Re: [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux
Gesendet: Mi, 05. Aug 2009
Von: Paul Davis<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Michael Bohle<opendaw at jacklab.org> wrote:
> > Nice article. But colored by ideology.
>
> Nice comments. But colored by workflow choices and a preference for
> simplicity over control.

Control what? The source code of an application? Or the kernel? I have very limited skills in programming languages - I'm just an old school music artist and multimedia designer. On OS X I have full control over my personal creative workflow. But Linux was controlling me in a way that I have to take care of lot admin tasks and bugs. Yes the bugs and workarounds on Linux controlling me and I'm to stupid to fix them all plus write my dream apps. I'm one of the guys, going into a music store and buy a guitar and not one of the guy who'd like to build a own. My handcraft is music, not wood.

But for code-developers Linux is a very good and productive playground, because they have full control.

> > -I'm more productive with a Mac environment
>
> The best reason you've cited, I think.
>
> >Sooperlooper is an good example: first made for Linux, then ported to OS X
> and now the "mainstream-Daws" Live and Logic have loopers as new features in
> their latest versions.
>
> Which once again reinforces the same sales/marketing approach that the
> entire audio tech industry offers beginners or relatively new users in
> every field: "we'll make it simpler for you". Its a noble sentiment,
> and would be a fine one if they actually lived up to the real desire
> of users: "make it simpler without taking away any power, control or
> options". In the real world, we know that this is not possible. And so
> people buy integrated control surfaces/computer audio interfaces
> ("because its simpler") and then later find that they love the control
> surface but need more channels/better quality/lower latency on the
> audio interface side and they can't trivially upgrade just one
> component without wasting money. Or they buy a DAW with its builtin
> live-looper ("because i  don't have to be a computer geek to get it
> setup") but then discover that when they want to run the live looper
> standalone they can't (or something else isn't quite what they needed)
> and so they have to still get a standalone live looper anyway.
> Thankfully sooperlooper is available at no cost. Isn't that nice of
> Jesse?

Yes, thats very nice, thanks Jesse! I recognized SL with Linux as the best Looper i've ever seen and on OS X I used the AU plugin version until Live8. But the Live8 looper is much better integrated (drag n drop audioloops into the sequencer, more tight etc) and so the workflow is much easier for a stupid artist like me, so SL is not in use anymore... But I still recommend SL to everybody who like to "do the looper."

regards,
Michael

--- original Nachricht Ende ----