[LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:28:05 EDT 2009

Hi.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Michael Bohle<opendaw at jacklab.org> wrote:
> Nice article. But colored by ideology.
>
> I "switched" from Linux to Mac because...

To each his own, just a few observations:

> -Now I have the freedom of choice what kind of apps I want to use (free software or pro apps)
> -I have no more headache about bad RT Kernels and user permissions
Nor the benefits of good RT kernels. As long as there's only one
kernel available, it can't be perfect for *everything*. But if you
don't notice the difference, then I guess you don't need it.

> -Only one audio system - core audio - and it is easy to handle
To each his own, again; for as long as I can remember, choice has been
one of Linux's bragging points. Nobody really wants unlimited choices
on *everything*, but would a pro athlete complain about having too
many choices of shoes?

> -It works rock stable and very intuitive
I *have* had crashes and lost work using OSX. It's intuitive I believe
because the GUI is designed in-house. If you look under the hood, you
see some very familiar Unix structures, which I have to admit I find
intuitive for a completely different reason. I HATE having to make
multiple selections using the OSX GUI.

> -a very good workflow covering all technics of modern multimedia production
Again, I like to choose between *many* very good workflows.

> -the audio apps are mature production tools with all features I need
I'm opinionated on this. I was forced to use many of these tools in
college and hated them. They didn't have all the features I needed.
They're good, but if your needs go beyond what MIDI is capable of,
some hotwiring is in order.

> -Ableton Live - more then a DAW
> -I can work with video and audio together without crashes
Good point. I still haven't found a good way to do this with Linux.
xjadeo was recommended to me and had problems, haven't tried it
lately.

> -I'm more productive with a Mac environment
No more need be said!

> -I doesn't need to be an geek/nerd to use my computer but I can if I want
I'm sure this makes sense in some non-geek way, but it's hard for me
to imagine anyone not wanting to be a nerd...

-Chuckk