[LAU] hardware compressor-EQ-Limiter

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:57:09 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM, millward<millward at ms.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> Can anyone advise on a good, but relatively cheap,
> hardware compressor-equalizer-limiter ?

Probably the wrong approach. Look for a good preamp that has a good
comp/lim built in.

Don't use EQ at this point in the signal chain.

> I'm told its best to clean up the input signal rather than
> having to try to clean it up after its already recorded.

It's not about 'cleaning up' the input signal as much as not letting
it get dirty. the problem you are trying to solve is the preamp
clipping.

> That's why I'm looking for this hardware, at a reasonable price.
> I'm not looking for the high-end professional stuff.
>  Any information would be most welcome.

Are you actually having signal-to-noise issues? Just turn the gain
down on your preamp so your inputs don't clip.

- Mark