[LAU] hardware compressor-EQ-Limiter

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Tue Aug 11 14:55:44 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 16:41:34 millward wrote:
> Can anyone advise on a good, but relatively cheap,
> hardware compressor-equalizer-limiter ?
> I'm told its best to clean up the input signal rather than
> having to try to clean it up after its already recorded.
> That's why I'm looking for this hardware, at a reasonable price.
> I'm not looking for the high-end professional stuff.
>  Any information would be most welcome.

Actually the consensus is to modify the signal as least as possible before it
hits the harddisk.

So instead of spending money on a cheap compressor-equalizer-limiter, you
should spend it on a not-so-cheap pre-amp (maybe with in-built limiter and
possibly adc). And learn about mic-placement, shock-absorbers, wind-screens
and acoustical treatment of the recording-environment.

Have fun,

Arnold