[LAU] A webserver with on-the-fly format conversion?

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Wed Aug 12 17:43:31 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 11 of August 2009 22:03:10 Andras Simon wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that one can associate an arbitrary piece of code
> with a URI in any webserver worth its salt. Even good old CGI could
> do that (well, that was the point of it).

I'll definitely try that. Writing a small script to do the conversion is
not an issue, I'll just have to figure out how to configure the
webserver appropriately.

> About streaming I definitely don't know anything, but mplayer for
> example will happily start playing after it's filled its cache (the
> size of which can be given on the command line) and doesn't wait
> until the whole file is downloaded.

It's probably not actually streaming I need, just that the file transfer
starts before the conversion is finished. Not sure if there's anything
special I need to do to make sure it does, but I guess I'll find out
once everything else is in place...

Thanks,

Dominic