[LAU] Pros and cons of 64 bit Linux

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 14 00:01:59 EDT 2009

I recently changed from a 64 bit install to a 32 bit install (also Gentoo).

I have 4GB of RAM and that uses the highmem function.. there is supposed to be an
extra step to address the RAM.. but I don't see any negative impact on
performance at all... Only thing I have noticed is that more apps are able to
compile, I was going to use VST's .. but I have so much hardware that I never
really get beyond LADSPA plugins to compliment the hardware..

I also am using an NVIDIA video card (7600GS silent).. simply because my dual
monitor system works pretty much automagically with the nvidia-settings tool... I
have onboard ATI Drivers on my mobo.. but have disabled them and don't intend to
use them due to shared RAM...

Even though RAM is cheap I believe having discrete video RAM is better for audio
performance...strik me down if I am wrong.. I am open to suggestion.

On Fri Aug 14  6:48 , Matt Henley  sent:

>I have my system running 64-bit Gentoo with no real problems.  32-bit and 64-bit
software run on the system as long as there are corresponding libraries for the
app to link to.  Ardour is compiled as 64-bit which means I cannot use VST's in
it, but dssi-vst works fine since Wine seems to be 32-bit and they are run as a
separate process from the 64-bit audio apps.  I haven't seen any problems with
Flash/Java/ or media players.  I can't address the video card as I use an Nvidia
with the Nvidia 64-bit binary driver which works fine for me.  The reason I
switched to 64-bit was that I upgraded to 8 GB memory for rendering in blender.